Welcome to Athens Utilities Electric Department
General Manager: Gary Scroggins
Phone: (256) 232-1440
FAX: (256) 233-8732
Athens Electric Department provides electric service to over 40,000 customers. The service area includes Athens and all of Limestone County. We strive to provide our customers with quality service at a reasonable price by operating efficiently and professionally. Athens Electric Department purchases power from TVA.
Important Phone Numbers
Engineering: 256-232-1440 (New construction, trailer poles, underground inspections)
24 hour emergency service and loss of service: 256-232-1440
Looking for Who to call?
- New security light-contact customer service at 256-233-8750
- Repair security light or street light-contact AU at 256-232-1440
- Disconnect electrical service—contact AU at 256-232-1440
- Reconnect service—Emergencies will be handles as soon as possible. Reconnects that are not emergencies should be scheduled. A fee of $75.00 will be charged for after hour reconnects that are not emergencies.
- Installing new electrical services—contact Engineering at 256-232-1440
- Trees on lines—Contact AU at 256-232-1440
- Need locates for underground work—call 811 Alabama One Call before you begin your project. They will notify all utilities in your area to locate and mark underground utilities.
- Picking up wire—call ahead 256-232-1440 Ext. # 248. Hours to pick up wire 7:30am-4:00pm